Breakthrough has three branches of service: Homeless Intervention, Youth Development and Neighborhood Transformation. There are several opportunities in each division. Please see below to discover which opportunity works best for your group.
- Manna Ministry (Meal Service): Daily | All Mealtimes breakthrough.org/manna
Create a menu, provide and serve a meal, while building relationships with homeless guests.
- Weekday Kitchen Assistant: M-F | 7AM-1PM
Work alongside kitchen staff to prepare healthy meals for homeless guests.
- Job Training Workshops: Weekdays | Daytime Hours
Come alongside our Employment Team to facilitate a job-related workshop, including topics such as resume-building, mock interviews, workplace behavior, and personality assessments.
- Support Center Party: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Provide fun activities for guests, like spa and game days, tournaments and team-building exercises.
- Sponsor-a-Family: Times Vary
Help make a house a home for families transitioning into permanent housing. Learn more about this initiative and attend the next Volunteer Night.
- Arts and Science Classes: Seasonal | Times Vary
Expose youth to culinary arts, robotics and coding, ceramics, and digital art and photography in 8 week sessions.
- Sports & Fitness Volunteer: Seasonal | Times Vary
Coach kids in team sports, assist with running & fitness activities, or help facilitate athletic events (such as timekeeping, registration, running the scoreboard, etc).
- Home Court Basketball Tournament: Th 2-8:15PM | July & August
Sponsor an evening of fun and basketball for our community by providing volunteers, food, referees and other activities.
- Fresh Market Pantry Assistant: T 12:30-4:30PM | Th 9AM-2:30PM, Sa 9AM-12:30PM
Help alleviate hunger by setting up the pantry, assisting shoppers, and making deliveries.
- Fresh Market Setup: W 11AM-1:30PM | F 12:30-4:30PM
Help unload the food trucks, organize food, and set up the markets; great for a group of 10
- Fresh Market Produce Mobile: 4th T of every month | 8AM-1:30PM
Unload produce trucks, organize and distribute food to community members and senior citizens.
- Technology Center Class: T, Th | 10AM-12PM
Assist guests with basic computer skills, employment-related topics, and resume-building.
- Garden Care: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Assist a team of gardeners to grow and harvest produce for our kitchens and neighborhood
- Greater Chicago Food Depository: Help Breakthrough earn food credit by sorting food, repacking food, labeling and gathering donations.
- Annual 5K Hunger Walk: Walk with Breakthrough to help raise money to fight hunger in Chicago; breakthrough.org/hungerwalk
- Communities Partnering 4 Peace: Various nights and weekendsCome alongside our Violence Prevention team as we host family-fun events for the community. Sign guests in, serve food, and help with kids games! For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trunk Party: Help collect gifts for East Garfield Park seniors as they head off to college! (breakthrough.org/trunkparty2018)
- Chicago Triathlon: Join the Renew Chicago Triathlon team to raise money and awareness for Breakthrough. All proceeds go back to our program! See Renew's website for more details.