- Meal Group Leader (Manna Ministry): Daily | All Mealtimes breakthrough.org/manna Gather a group to provide and serve a monthly meal while building relationships with guests.
- Weekday Kitchen Assistant: M-F | 7AM-1PM
Work alongside kitchen staff to prepare healthy meals for homeless guests.
- Shelter Assistant: M-F | 9AM-3PM | Evening Hours Available
Partner with staff to support intake process, answer phones, sign guests in, and monitor chores.
- Activity Program Assistant: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Provide fun activities for guests, like spa and game days, tournaments, and team-building exercises.
- Skill-Building and Adult Literacy Coach: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Assist adults with job-readiness skills (M-Th | 9AM-12PM), financial literacy or GED tutoring.
- Housing Program Partner: Weekly or Monthly | Evening Hours
Come alongside permanent housing guests through community groups and life-skills coaching.
- After School Teacher Aide: M-F | 3:45-6:45 PM (during school year), M-F | 9AM-3PM (during summer)
Pick a day to work alongside students in grades K-8 with academic and enrichment activities.
- Sports & Fitness Volunteer: Seasonal | Times Vary
Coach kids in team sports, assist with running & fitness activities, or help facilitate athletic events (such as timekeeping, registration, running the scoreboard, etc).
- Arts & Science Assistant/Teacher: Seasonal | Times Vary
Expose youth to culinary arts, robotics and coding, ceramics, and digital art and photography in 8 week sessions.
- Choice Academy Facilitator: T-Th | 5:15-6:15PM (during school year)
Use your unique talent or skill to lead an enrichment activity for grades K-8
- Early Childhood Assistant: M-F | 7AM-6:30PM
Partner with staff to help children reach their fullest potential.
- Fresh Market Pantry Assistant: Tu 12:30-4:30PM | Th 9AM-2:30PM, Sa 9AM-12:30PM
Help alleviate hunger by setting up the pantry, assisting shoppers, and making deliveries.
- Fresh Market Setup: W 11AM-1:30PM | F 12:30-4:30PM
Help unload the food trucks, organize food, and set up the markets; great for a group of 10
- Fresh Market Produce Mobile: 4th Tu of every month | 8AM-1:30PM
Unload produce trucks, organize and distribute food to community members and senior citizens.
- Technology Center Assistant: Tu, Th | 10AM-12PM
Assist guests with basic computer skills, employment-related topics, and resume building.
Behind the Scenes
- Administrative Support: M-F | 9AM-5PM
Use your administrative gifts to assist staff with data entry, phone calls, emails, and filing.
- Event Support: Seasonal | Times Vary
Help us organize the Annual Benefit, Hunger Walk, Christmas Store, and other events.
- Community Threads Thrift Store (Arlington Heights): M-F 10AM-7PM | Sa 10AM-5PM
Help Breakthrough receive grants by volunteering to price, display, and sell merchandise. Register at communitythreads.org/volunteer and indicate Breakthrough affiliation on the application.
- Facilities & Maintenance: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Keep our campus in great shape by volunteering in donation sorting, organizing, or painting.
- Garden Care: Daily | Daytime and Evening Hours
Assist a team of gardeners to grow and harvest produce for our kitchens and neighborhood.
- Greater Chicago Food Depository: Help Breakthrough earn food credit by sorting food, repacking food, labeling and gathering donations. Register at chicagosfoodbank.org/volunteer and indicate Breakthrough affiliation on the application.